Thursday, June 2, 2011

Review: Maybelline Clear Smooth Shine Free Face Powder SPF 18 in 01 Light



Hi there! Just something to clarify before I continue: This review is definitely not sponsored in any way or another and my thoughts and feelings about this product is true from my heart.

Let me do some introduction for this product I've bought 2 weeks ago(that was bit too long huh?). Maybelline Clear Smooth Shine Free Face powder SPF 18 was created to provide: Lasting oil control, silky smooth texture and UV protection of SPF 18. It combines oil absorbing ingredients to remove shine for a clean shine-free finish all day and the extreme fine powder glides like silk and melts smoothly on the skin. A flawless cover but looks perfectly natural. Furthermore, it contains high UV protection to prevent skin darkening and to have a fair, neutral skin tone. (This was what it was mentioned on the packaging.) This is also fragrance-free, oil-free, non-comedogenic and won't clog pores. Let's see if this is true after all...

This is how the powder and the packaging looks like. The mint-green compact is something I liked about the simple design. I would prefer to have a thicker powder puff to the one given in the compact as it was too thin, doesn't have a strap for me to hold on to the puff. That was why I bought The Face Shop powder puff!
(please zoom in to see the tiny words)
Can you see the powder shade? I liked the colour a lot as it suits my pale pink under tone, as compared to Silkygirl's Pressed Powder in Natural. Something I must tell you before you start using is that to use a foundation brush if you want a light-medium coverage. I've tried using ELF studio foundation brush and set the powder after I applied my maybelline BB Cream, it only gives a very light to light coverage. I guess I should use a better brush such as EcoTools and The Body Shop, the effect would be definitely better. (Oh, I was obsessed with ELF Total Face Brush, very cool with red and black bristles on the brush!)

My overall thoughts of this product:
1. Non-comdeogenic and won't clog pores
I have been using this for the past two weeks after I bought and no breakouts after using this product.
2. Oil-Free
Not really though, but something I must comment about this is that it has a good oil-control. Normally, I have to blot my face every 4 hours without makeup and when this product is on my face, I only need to blot every 2.5-3 hours on my T-zone. The product absorbs my 1 hour of oil secretion on my T-zone.
3. Good Coverage
Personally, I prefer a light-medium coverage to a medium-full coverage as I wanted to look natural. Surely I do not want to look like some casts in the Phantom of the Opera! Usually, I'll set my powder after applying a pea-sized of the Pure Beauty Jasmine Water BB Cream or the Maybelline BB Cream. (I rotate my use for these two BB Creams.) It gives me a light-medium coverage and it lasts for around 4 hours before it oxidises into the atmosphere. Having a SPF 18 as well, I'll most probably not use it for UV protection in such a weather in Singapore where your makeup can melt in 2 hours time on the streets of Orchard Road.
4. Mint-green compact and powder puff
Great design! Prefer powder puff to be something like The Face Shop's with a lil' ribbon strap for me to hold the puff in place. Hope Maybelline can improve on the mint0green compact with a slightly thicker plastic to hold more powder!

Out of 5 stars, I'll give it a 4.8! Maybelline Clear Smooth Shine Free Face Powder in SPF 18 in 01 Light would be my ideal drugstore compact powder among the few that I've tried. How about yours?
Going to do another review on my new moisturiser soon!

Cheers,
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment